Carbon-neutral parcel shipping. At no extra cost.
Reducing greenhouse gases is a central challenge for the parcel industry. As one of the leading service providers in the parcel industry, we take our responsibilities towards the environment in this field very seriously. We are committed to providing carbon-neutral shipping for all parcels – at no additional cost to our customers. In addition, by 2020 DPDgroup is aiming to reduce transport-related CO2 emissions per parcel by 10% on the 2013 level.
DPD ships 3 million parcels – every day. The shipping of parcels generates a considerable volume of CO2, with 90 % of emissions created by the actual transport operations. At present there is no economically viable way of avoiding these emissions completely. In spite of this we wish to fulfil our responsibilities towards the environment and have therefore committed ourselves to providing carbon-neutral shipping for all parcels – at no additional cost to our customers. We achieve this by relying on three interrelated processes: measuring, reducing and offsetting.
- Measuring: As part of DPDgroup we regularly measure the greenhouse gas emissions created by the company.
- Reducing: For the purpose of improving our carbon footprint we apply a range of domestic and international projects and activities aimed at reducing our CO2 emissions on a continuous basis.
- Offsetting: By purchasing emissions certificates (so-called “carbon credits") DPDgroup finances projects for renewable energies and clean energy generation. In this way we offset unavoidable transport emissions.
We apply a range of activities aimed at the continuous improvement of our carbon footprint.These measures include the use of electric or natural-gas powered vehicles and the development of innovative delivery solutions which eliminate unnecessary delivery trips and waiting time.
For more information simply click on one of the measures listed below.
Innovative delivery solutions
We develop innovative solutions which increase the proportion of successful first time deliveries, thus eliminating unnecessary delivery trips and waiting time.Read more
Use of electric vehicles
Whether as a plug-in hybrid or battery electric drive, we are already applying alternative drive systems for parcel delivery in a number of locations.Read more
Personal delivery by bicycle in Hamburg.
In a number of residential areas in Hamburg we deliver parcels by bike. Each bike can carry up to 50 parcels at a time.Read more
DPD applies a range of measures to the task of continuously improving its own carbon footprint. Of course it isn't possible to eliminate all emissions, but by purchasing emissions certificates (so-called “carbon credits") DPDgroup finances projects for renewable energies and clean energy generation. In this way those transport emissions which can't be avoided can be offset. For this purpose DPD cooperates with EcoAct, the European leader on the carbon market. Together an offsetting programme has been developed which is based on the most stringent international standards. In the year 2015 alone DPD group compensated for 814,000 tonnes of emissions which damage the climate.
Support is provided for a total of six projects:
- energy generation from waste in the Czech Republic
- the use of waste for the production of building materials in Poland
- the promotion of wind power in India and Turkey
- converting mine gas containing methane into energy in Germany and Great Britain