4. June 2019 | Press release
DPDgroup remains #1 on the voluntary carbon offset market in the CEP sector
DPDgroup maintains its active CO2 emissions reduction programme, resulting in -4% vs 2017, and -15.2% vs 2013. Low emission fleet and renewable energy consumption contribute to reduce emissions, avoiding 45,000 tonnes of CO2 in 2018.
1.2 billion carbon neutral parcels delivered in 2018
100% of transport and energy consumption emissions offset in 2018
-15.2% of CO2 emissions per parcel in 2018 (vs. 2013)
43 smart urban delivery solutions deployed in Europe
75% of the fleet at least compliant with the Euro 5 standard
Learn more about our CSR programme DrivingChangeTM
Aiming at reducing carbon emissions by 30%
DPDgroup defined in 2018 its new carbon reduction goal to reduce its carbon emissions by 30% by 2025 per parcel, compared to 2013. DPDgroup provides all customers with carbon-neutral parcel shipping at no additional cost. Carbon neutral commitment of DPDgroup is part of DrivingChangeTM programme and relies on three interrelated principles:
- Measuring closely its CO2 footprint and engaging customers thanks to a carbon calculator tool.
- Reducing its emissions through:
- A robust emission reduction plan that led to improving the efficiency of each parcel delivered, achieving an average of 0.83kg of CO2 per parcel, a reduction of 15.2% in 2018 compared to 2013.
- Prioritising low carbon transport: 5,000 low emission vehicles by 2025. This objective will be possible thanks to the combination of reliable technologies and new urban logistics schemes. Electric vehicles are one of the most effective means to reduce the carbon footprint as well as the pollutants of the delivery operations. In 2018, through its low emission delivery approach, DPDgroup travelled more than 7 million kilometres.
- Using long distance vehicles with an average age of less than 5 years by 2025.
- Offsetting all remaining CO2 emissions through 2 key projects:
- Creating clean power through wind turbines in India. Wind turbines generate electricity which is then licensed to become part of the electricity grid of India.
- Transforming landfill gas into clean energy in Brazil. The major constituent of landfill gas is methane, which has 21 to 25 times the impact of CO2 on the climate.
DPDgroup is the CEP sector world leader on the voluntary carbon offset market. This makes up almost 3% of all the CO2 emissions voluntarily offset on the European market.
Improving everyday urban life
DPDgroup urban logistics initiatives aim at improving everyday urban life by giving customers greater delivery choices, while reducing our impact on the environment. The increasing number of parcels to be delivered each year sets a number of challenges for the cities whether it is in terms of traffic, volume, noise and emissions.
“We are paving the way for smart urban logistics by combining best-in-class customer experience with a seamless operational footprint in the city. We constantly adapt our processes to new operating conditions in order to protect the environment and improve quality of life in cities.”
Paul-Marie Chavanne, President and CEO of DPDgroup
DPDgroup is attentive to the needs of each city and gear its offering of micro-depots and alternative fleet accordingly. There is no “one size fits all” solution, as each city has different geography, capacity, strategic objectives and needs: innovative solutions and regulation need to be adapted to each case.
Some significant steps have already been made and DPDgroup is now providing 43 smart urban delivery solutions in 7 countries.
For example, DPD UK operates the UK’s first all-electric parcel depot in the city centre of London.
The 5,000 sq feet facility has capacity to deliver 2,000 parcels a day, utilising an all-electric fleet.
United Nations Global Compact commitment since 2016
The Global Compact is a United Nations initiative to encourage companies do business in a responsible and ethical way by aligning their strategies, policies and processes with the Ten Principles framework.
Today DPDgroup third CSR Report stands for its Communication On Progress (COP) as part of its commitment to the UN Global Compact.
DPDgroup Corporate Social Responsibility Report 2018 is available on dpdgroup.com.
DPDgroup is Europe’s second largest parcel delivery network.
DPDgroup combines innovative technology and local knowledge to provide a flexible and user-friendly service for both shippers and shoppers. With its industry-leading Predict service, DPDgroup is setting a new standard for convenience by keeping customers closely in touch with their delivery.
With more than 75,000 delivery experts and a network of more than 42,000 Pickup points, DPDgroup delivers 5.2 million parcels each day through the brands DPD, Chronopost, SEUR and BRT.
DPDgroup is the parcel delivery network of GeoPost, which posted sales of €7.3 billion in 2018. GeoPost is a holding company owned by Le Groupe La Poste.