Following the decision of the EU Council on the night of 10 to 11 April, the deadline for Brexit has been postponed from 12th April to 31st October 2019.
The scenario of a No Deal Hard Brexit on the 12th April no longer applies.
This decision of the EU council applies immediately to the UK and to the rest of the EU, without further need for confirmation, ratification or votes from Parliaments.
- The UK has formally accepted the extension on Thursday 11 April, morning. During the extension period that can last up to the 31st October 2019, the UK is still a Member State of the EU.
- The goods keep circulating between the UK and the rest of the EU as they do today, without declarations nor Customs checks. Therefore, during this period DPDgroup will continue to operate between the UK and the EU as today.
- The DPDgroup Brexit project keeps going, to ensure that the group is “Brexit ready” and takes advantage of the extra time to fine tune its services.
- The new regulatory configuration between the UK and the EU will imply new procedures, in particular Customs declaration and controls. DPDgroup is an Authorised Economic Operator that understands customs clearance operations because the group daily ships parcels worldwide.
- DPDgroup is ready for a no deal scenario, and will ensure that trade continues to be as frictionless and smooth as possible. The group has developed operational processes to be implemented after Brexit, to include customs clearance services in dedicated gateways.
- DPDgroup is working on plans to mitigate risks, including alternative road-based routes, and or air-based routes. DPDgroup is also investing in its customs clearance teams and facilities to be able to provide customers with an integrated and smooth service.
- All parcel operators are facing the challenge of uncertainty regarding Brexit. Questions related to transport lead times and additional costs triggered by the new procedures cannot be fully answered at this time as there are still significant parts of these procedures to be closely defined.
DPDgroup – Your delivery experts