Important changes to EU VAT rules as of 1 July 2021

Outside EU Outside EU

Important changes to EU VAT rules as of 1 July 2021

All businesses will be affected, but the changes will mainly affect business-to-consumer (B2C) sales and online marketplaces, including those based within the EU and those based outside that are selling to customers in the EU.


3 main changes

VAT exemption removal

Removal of the €22 import VAT exemption for all importer (professional and private)

From July 1, 2021, VAT will be charged on all commercial goods imported into the EU, regardless of value.

VAT electronic portal

Possible VAT payment by non-EU shipper via an electronic portal for B2C goods ≤ 150€ (If option for Import One-Stop Shop is applied)

For shipments with a value below 150€, VAT can either be charged at the time of the sale by the seller and refund by using the new Import One-Stop Shop (IOSS) or collected from the end-consignee by the customs declarant if IOSS not chosen by the non-EU shipper.

VAT online marketplaces

Online marketplaces becoming the VAT collector for B2C goods ≤ 150€

Online marketplaces enabling sellers to sell their goods directly to end-consignee, will now be responsible for charging/collecting, reporting and remitting the VAT due from the end-consignee. The scheme would apply for cross-border or domestic transactions of any value. In any case, no VAT has to be collected by the customs declarant from the end-consignee.

More information:


Information on import to SLOVENIA

All consignments arriving in Slovenia from third countries are subject to customs procedures. Customs procedures take place in the country of entry of goods into the EU. Only after the customs procedures have been completed will the shipment be delivered to the final consignee.

On 1st January 2022, an amendment came into force that importers must have a French VAT number when importing from the United Kingdom, if they want the parcel to be delivered to Slovenia in the DPD system. For the process of obtaining a French VAT number, we advise you to contact your tax / financial advisor.